FIBER & de Brakke Grond present: Coded Matter(s) #7: Extended Senses (01/06/2014)
Explorations within and beyond our senses
08 MAY 2014, VLAAMS CULTUURHUIS DE BRAKKE GROND, NES 45, AMSTERDAM
SummaryOn Sunday 1 June, FIBER and Flemish Arts Centre De Brakke Grond present Coded Matter(s) #7: Extended Senses; a day and evening of discovering and exploring how technology enables new sensory experiences of nature and networks.
On Sunday 1 June, FIBER and Flemish Arts Centre De Brakke Grond present Coded Matter(s) #7: Extended Senses; a day and evening of discovering and exploring how technology enables new sensory experiences of nature and networks.
During Extended Senses, artist talks, installations and demonstrations will let you see and experience the possibilities and dangers of these developments. Listen to plant conversations, see the data created by your body or play a game with your own muscles. Artists, designers and scientists show how human senses are being expanded or applied differently, how previously invisible processes of man and nature can be made visible, useful and even aesthetic. The programme starts in the afternoon and goes on into the evening, supplemented with thematic films, music and food, spread out across the various inside and outside spaces of De Brakke Grond.
Keynote / artist talk / performance
- Perceptualization - Edwin van der Heiden [NL] - keynote
- Body Area Network – Walter De Raedt [BE, imec] - Program Manager Wearable Healthcare - keynote
- Bartaku [BE] - keynote
- Thought Kinetics (2014), Kees & Joost Plattel [NL] - artist talk
- Perfect Paul (2012), Arthur Elsenaar [NL] - performance
- Botanicus Interacticus (2012), Studio NAND [DE] - installation
- EMG Muscle Game (2013), Adriaan Wormgoor [NL] - game
- Sense of Smell: Famous Deaths (2014), CMD [NL] - demonstration
- Thought Kinetics (2014), Kees & Joost Plattel [NL] - demonstration
- Durr Watch (2013), Skrekkøgle [NO] - product presentation
- Thinking Dodecahedron (2013), Marcel Boonman [NL] - installation
- Biophonic Garden (2013), Sebastian Frisch [DE] - installation
- Sonobotanics (2010), Marije Baalman [NL] - installation
- Astralium (2013) - Sander Bos [NL] - installation
- Body Area Network (2014), Marcel Boonman [NL] - Q&A
- Michelle Kasprzak
This edition of Coded Matter(s) also functions as a informal meeting place for interaction and industrial designers, architects, (media) artists, scientists and other creative technologists who are working with human senses, wearables or sensor technology.
Door € 16
Online € 14
CJP € 12
Tickets are sold through the website of De Brakke Grond. CJP card has to be shown at the event: no card, no discount. About Coded Matter(s)
Coded Matter(s) is a new series of events exploring the explosion of digital processes taking place in hybrid art, design and music and the ripples this causes. During these events artists, designers, musicians and other creatives will demonstrate the limitless possibilities offered by digital systems and creative coding platforms for the creation of visual art, generative design, interactive installations, multi-sensory performances and enchanting scenography.
FIBER is an Amsterdam based interdisciplinary organisation, that presents new developments in audiovisual art, digital culture and the experimental and deeper corners of electronic music. The team works year round with a vibrant network of artists, designers, researchers and developers, who aspire to introduce mind bending experiences to a broad audience. Special attention goes out to the support of up and coming talents across numerous creative disciplines.
Next to small-scale events and exhibitions, the team organises the recurring FIBER Festival in Amsterdam, which brings together a diverse crowd of new talent, established artists and curious visitors. FIBER aims to explore hybrid forms of art, the power of media- and network technology, and encourages an exchange of views between the makers and their audience.